1. The burglars will leave if they hear an alarm after breaking in, so consider getting one of some type.
2. Doors kicked in are often 1970’s doors which have become brittle with poor framing. How strong is your door?
3. Dead bolt locks in old doors may have been installed with small screws that are now loose.
4. A sense of complacency may have resulted in using only the little door handle locks, leaving the dead bolt locks unused.
5. Front doors may be hidden from street view; cut down bushes and trim trees.
6. Inspect your house and beef up security.
Call The Cops: We are starting to help the Oakland Police track burglars more frequently now, said Montclair SIC’s Nick Vigilante, by calling and reporting suspicious people. Problem Solving Officer (PSO) Maureen Vergara, who covers Beat 13Z, asked for these details if possible:
1. license plate information – number and state
2. vehicle descriptions – make, model, color, and year
3. suspect descriptions – gender, race, as much as possible