When you live in a place, it’s easy to forget what strikes visitors as unique, precious, entertaining or picture-worthy. Most of the time, we end up showing our guests a few things from our tried-and-true list of memorable stops in Montclair. Although this week’s tourists are aiming for San Francisco and Napa, at least we’re giving them a couple Oakland memories.
Top Ten Memorable Stops In Montclair
1. Sibley Preserve – The volcano, mazes and seasonal flowers are crowd-pleasers.
2. The Egg Shop – Every village needs their old, traditional breakfast spot.
3. Mayor’s Race – During elections, the candidates will shake paws at our Farmers Market.
4. People Watch – Hitting one of the coffee shops at Mountain and Antioch is required.
5. Shepherd Canyon – No time? Torri Gate, on Escher Drive, provides a city-water view.
6. Hills Drive – Taking any circuitous route through our narrowest streets, always memorable!
7. Oakland Museum – When kids are around, we’re visiting those California exhibits. (OL)
8. Paramount or Fox – Getting tickets to anything (!) so you can oogle the ornate with guests. (OL)
9. Crogan’s – Just because it’s here, but steer clear if your guests are true foodies.
10. Library – Declaring “storybook” as you head past the library, firehouse and Fernwood area.
(OL) or Outside Limits: Yes, yes, we know. These two Oakland stops fall outside the Montclair District, but are included in the Top Ten Memorable Stops list…while visiting here.