When we hit the weekend, there’s always too much to do. We all know about catching up on errands, carting around the kids or going out for a bite to eat. What gets lost in the noise…is Oakland! We live in the horn of plenty, with so many weekend activities worth checking out.
Over the past season, Today in Montclair has curated events that sound interesting – whether they’re taking in culture, appreciating nature or supporting good works. You can see them linked as “our social network” in the right-hand column. You can also read summaries or else subscribe to a feed.
Why bother? After all, we enjoy the East Bay Express, OakBook and other online (and sometimes print) papers as much as the next guy for art, music, movies, festivals and many more listings. Yet some activities are still missing, like stairway cleanings or neighborhood meetings. Also the listings are endless, so we pluck events that catch our fancy.
We also hear from you, a lot. Montclarions want to promote their gatherings and we’re happy to oblige. Just send a message to your faithful blogger, and we’ll get your announcement live. Or you can post ’em yourself at our social network as well.
Let’s get back to this weekend. Although we’re past Labor Day, this coming weekend is chock-a-block with activities that make Oakland the place we heart. The range is kind of startling, when you step back:
- Norcal Boat Show At Jack London – Oogle at the cool sailboats and powerboats.
- Creek-to-Bay Day 2009: Pick Your Local Spot – Go do some watershed weeding.
- Get Scoop On Oakland’s Chinatown – Take a walking tour with an Oakland docent.
- Tour Oakland’s Historic Town Squares, In 10,000 Steps – Appreciate the first city parks.
- Now For KoreaTown’s Fest – Rejoice in all things Korea, as it’s their turn now.
- Author Barry Riffs On Harmonica – Learn why the harmonica can save your life.
- Fifth Annual Tour d’Oakland, From Montclair – Watch riders racing or rambling by you.
- East Bay Park Stroll: Redwood Park – Take an official tour of our beloved redwoods.
- Seasonal Highlight: Civil War Vets At Mountain View – Meet the vets who rest here.
- Tilden Farm Fair For Wee Folks – Amuse your kids at this traditional farm fair.
- The 79th Annual German Fest – Celebrate Germany with immigrant sons or daughters.
- Woodminster: Latin Jazz With John Santos – Take in this hot, free jazz concert.
After a while, have these goings-on turned into background noise for you? We think so, and that’s why we feel duty bound to re-acquaint you with the simpler Oakland pleasures – just in case you can find a few hours here or there.