For many families, Mother’s Day represents another opportunity to cherish the maternal line. It’s a reason to buy cards and gifts, and go out for a good meal. Sometimes kids attempt to take care of their mothers as well.
While mothers appreciate all the family attention, we had an inkling that this special day could be even better. Through our ultra-secret poll, we asked Montclair moms what they would like to do most – if only for that day.
Mother’s Day 2009: Top Ten Plans
- Visit a peaceful desert, without the family
- Get together with friends and eat tapas
- Shut down chauffeur services for parents and kids
- Go to a yoga retreat up north
- Catch up on my work and work emails
- Visit three museums, on free access day
- Hit the theater for chick flicks sans guilt
- Sleep without interruptions
- Devour all the candy delivered to me
- Obsess about my kids anyway
Having said all that, you don’t have to suffer this weekend with your loved ones. Around here, you can keep things low-key by taking the family to the Chabot Space & Science Center, where Sunday admission is free from 11am-5pm. Plan on eating brunch at their Celestial Cafe, from 11am-2pm – for a reasonable $8/mom and $10/others.
New moms and moms-to-be can also check out the Best from Belly to Baby Fair on Saturday, from 10am-5pm. The Tulip Grove is luring all comers with offers of free food and massages, over on Antioch Court. Or if you are so inclined, then indulge in a mini-mommy makeover too.
Have a great weekend, wherever you end up chilling out.