During the holiday lull, we created a survey to capture the Montclarion zeitgeist. Let’s reveal your contributions and opinions, starting with favorite movie picks…a real mash-up.
Montclair’s Favorite Movie Picks
- Movies, in theater this year – Inglorious Basterds, New Moon, Avatar, District 9, Up
- Movies, in theater this decade – Brokeback Mountain, The Lord of the Rings, The Departed, Good Will Hunting*, Juno
- Movies, in theater all time – Titanic, Pulp Fiction, The Graduate, The Godfather, JFK
- Movies, watched most often – The Shawshank Redemption, Erin Brokovich, The Big Chill, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Moonstruck
- Movies, watched once/year – Back to the Future, A Christmas Story, It’s A Wonderful Life, The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz
We weren’t that surprised with your crowd-pleasing titles, a veritable cornucopia of Baby Boomer and Gen X delights. You didn’t replay all the Oscar winners. You didn’t go for all the box office blockbusters, either. And you avoided the superheroes and most animated flicks.
What surprised us? There’s a dearth of edgier or provocative movies, with no Kill Bill or Apocalypse Now in the bunch. There’s fewer political or war picks too, like Schindler’s List or Coming Home. Maybe everyone’s influenced (a little) by what’s shown on cable or satellite channels.
Since our entertainment zeitgeist survey’s still open, you may share favorite singers, actors, books and more. Oddly enough, we see that your actor picks aren’t really aligned with your movies! Anyway, please contribute your two cents here.
*Fine Print: Good Will Hunting wasn’t released this past decade, but we received multiple picks here.