Over Thanksgiving weekend, your blogging alumna decided to appreciate her old neighbors. It’s easy to pay homage to Montclarions, who have somehow joined forces to create their unique Valhalla.
Top Ten Reasons To Appreciate Your Valhalla
- Amazing people — Everyone seems to have an expansive world view or passion they pursue. No one’s boring.
- Food, real food — Remember those great avocados, fused cuisines, and bakeries? Even non-foodies eat well.
- Political spectrum — While the spectrum’s left-of-center, there’s discourse and range. You don’t notice it.
- Local elections — Bless the energy out there, and congrats to Libby, Jean and Jerry. Some voters might care.
- School funding — At least you try to find money to use. And you try to figure out better ways to spend it.
- Debate is good — On any subject, on any day, in the Hills. Try that debate in places that are, well, more patriarchal.
- Protected nature — Yeah, you have done that forever. When there’s any available land, it’s ready to protect.
- Culture anytime — Check out music, art, readings and other events. There’s almost too much happening.
- Disasters anytime — The “gotta prepare” attitude? Just live well and through a earthquake, fire or mudslide.
- Weather perfection — Cool summers and comfy winters are par, and nothing remarkable for all Oaklanders.
Last summer, your faithful blogger left the Bay Area. The Utah scenery and cultural mores are other worldly! However Montclair’s Valhalla is more rooted in the real world. To my old neighbors, take this time to give thanks for your unsung every-days.