It’s Independence Day and you are home. Before the fireworks tonight, there are almost too many things to do – and we think it boils down to whether you demand a parade, music or a place to relax.
The past week, we have been rounding up activities on the Montclair social network. It’s a bit hard to explore options online because you have to know beforehand that you are looking for, say, the Oakland Municipal Band or Piedmont Parade. But here are the core options:
- Alameda Parade – 10:00 am – it’s not too late to battle the 20,000 people along this grand, 3.3 mile-long parade route – starts down Park Street, check route here – Free
- Piedmont Parade – 11:00 am – check out the westies, scotties and the usual small-town fanfare – starts at Highland Avenue and Park Way, ends at Piedmont Park – Free
- Barbecue and Stars – 12:00 pm – get your grills at Chabot Space Center – through 6:00 pm – 10000 Skyline Drive – costs $10/adult, $8/member, $7/kid
- Blues All Day – 12:00 pm – watch eight acts from the Bay Area Blues Society – through 8:00 pm – Alameda County Fair – Rt 680, Pleasanton – costs $10/adult, $8/senior (62+), $6/kid (6+), free/tike as well as $8/parking
- Teddy Bear Parade – 1:00 pm – parade and play games at Dunsmuir House – through 6:00 pm – 2960 Peralta Oaks Court – costs $12/family (2 adults, 2 kids), $5/adult, $2/kid (5+), free/tike
- Oakland Municipal Band – 1:00 pm – celebrate and picnic alongside this brass concert – through 3:00 pm – Edoff Memorial bandstand, Lake Merritt – Grand & Bellevue Avenues – Free
Or you can just chill with family and friends, which is fine by us. Sometimes when there’s folks around and you need to entertain them, it’s good to leave the house for a few hours too. Cheers and Happy Fourth!