This evening, please meet the neighbors at a block party near you. If you have not received an invitation or flier, then feel free to crash one of the Montclair parties that’s closest to your home.
I’m going to make the effort to show up at my block’s get-together. My neighborly contacts are pathetically limited to some quick waves or chats with the daily dog walkers. In fact, I know the coffee shop regulars a lot better than folks who live on my street. It’s time to fix that.
“Everyone” is organizing these block parties as part of the official National Night Out. There are already 400 parties scattered throughout Oakland alone, pretty impressive.
Check out the latest list of Montclair parties. From what I have heard, many of these gatherings will feature a little pot-luck dinner – so it’s best to come with some contributions.
- Ascot Homeowners/Piedmont Pines, 6035 Ascot near Morley Dr, 7-9 pm
- Balboa at Colton, 5526 Balboa Dr, 7-9 pm
- Beaconsfield Park at Keswick/ Friends of Sausal Creek, 7-9 pm
- Carisbrook Cooperative, 2557 Carisbrook near Chelton, 5-9 pm
- Chelsea Court, 20 Chelsea Ct, 7-9 pm
- Cortereal Cul-de-sac, 1900 block of Cortereal, 7-8 pm
- Fernwood Community Club, 1470 Mountain Blvd, 7-9 pm
- Girvin Drive at Thackery, 6281 Girvin, 7-8:30 pm
- Holyrood Neighborhood Group, 2975 Holyrood near Ascot, 7-8 pm
- Liggett Neighbors, 6708 Liggett Drive, 7-9 pm
- Mastlands/Larry Lane, 2101 Mastlands Drive, 6-8 pm
- McAndrew Group/Estates Drive, 6:30-9 pm
- Merriewood Neighbors, 5574 Merriewood Drive @ Valley View, 7-9 pm
- Montclair Valle Vista, 6095 Mazuela Drive, 6-8:30 pm
- Montclair West Neighborhood Association, Pershing Dr & Marsh Place, 7-9 pm
- Moongate/Skyline Neighborhood near Totterdell, 9393 Skyline Blvd, 7-9 pm
- Mountain Gate Ascot Neighbors, Ascot Place at Ascot Drive/Scout Rd, 6-8 pm
- Pelham Place, 2340 Pelham near Girvin, 7:30-9 pm
- Piedmont Pines, 6477 Melville at Ascot, 6-8 pm
- Sims Drive near Estates Drive, 6784 Sims, 7-9 pm
- Thornhill Creekside Neighbors & Friends, Alhambra Court off Alhambra Lane, 6:30-8:30 pm
- Trafalgar Place, 2173 Trafalgar near LaSalle Ave, 6:30-7:30 pm
There must be some Montclair block that calls you their own! With the natural catastrophes that can happen here, it’s nice to know who lives around the corner and have a chance to schmooze with them – at least once a year.